April 10, 2007

Stranger Comment: Translation Needed

I had been meaning to post this last week, but, well...life is busy right now. Anyway, last week we (me, Mark & the twins) went up to the hospital for a baby CPR class offered at the NICU. We were in a rush, struggling with the new double car seat stroller that we had never used before, and flat-out exhausted. We finally made it into the hospital and were waiting in the lobby for the elevator. I was pushing the stroller, so I had my hands resting on the handle bar. A middle-aged woman looked over at us and the twins -- which, by the way, I am still not used to all the stares -- and said...

"What a beautiful ring. Looks like you are earning it now."

Huh? Can someone please translate that comment for me? She was referring to my wedding ring and it sounded a lot like an insult (especially given her facial expression at the time she said it). I was too stressed to do anything but give her a look. When we got settled down in the class, Mark leaned over and said he couldn't believe I let a comment like that slide from a complete stranger. I guess stress and exhaustion is cooling my temper.

3 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

Sometimes I hate people.

Sigh.

Cass said...

I guess the ring is seen as pre-payment on your mothering duties? Apparently you're "earning your keep" now that you have twins. Or something.

Sheesh. Some people...

Stacie said...

You win. That is, hands down, the rudest twins related comment I've ever heard.