April 8, 2007

Due Date

Well, it has finally arrived! My official, full-term, 40-week due date is today...Easter. Of course, I gave birth on February 12th -- which now feels like a lifetime ago and reminds me yet again just how early the twins really came.

We had a big family gathering at our house yesterday. My grandfather (aka Papa) got to meet the twins for the first time. It was nice getting several of my aunts, uncles and cousins over for a big meal. I've always loved family time, but I especially love it now since they just whisk the twins away the moment they walk in the door. I am convinced my family thinks we are the two biggest liars on the planet because the twins are perfect, sweet, non-fussy angels when we have guests over. The moment everyone leaves, of course, they cry, scream and keep us up all night. Anyway, we had a good time.

Damn, it is COLD here in Austin. We had freezing rain, sleet, and all that good stuff yesterday which had never happened in central Texas in April. Last week I had on the A/C and was walking around the house in shorts.

My mom was here for the weekend which was awesome. When my mom is here that means I get to sleep a a full night's rest.

Now I don't want to jinx myself here, BUT...the twins seem to be doing a little better. They have increased their food in the last few days and are sleeping for longer periods of time between feedings. Carson is taking 3 to 3.5 ounces now (up from 2 oz), and Kate is taking 2.5 ounces regularly (up from 1 to 2 oz). During the day they are often sleeping 3-4 hours at a stretch. Carson is also sleeping that long at night, but Kate is getting up every 2-ish hours between 12 AM and 8 AM. I've also noticed that their awake/alert/active periods are getting longer during the day. Instead of eating and then wanting to go straight back to sleep, they are now wanting to be a part of the action. They look around, they play in their bouncy seats, etc...the last thing they want is to go back to bed.

Oh, and I did not get to meet the possible nanny on Friday. There was a miscommunication thanks to the King of Miscommunication (Mark). Apparently, he did not tell her that I was coming up to his office that afternoon with the twins for the Egg Hunt and wanted to meet her. She thought I was coming to see her next week. So now I have to figure out a way to go up there next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me. Kerry sent us (the anny comment was one of us). It does get better, each week it gets better. My biggest best advice is like I told Kerry... take it 1 day at a time. If that gets overwhelming, 1 hour, or 1 chunk of time. I remember times when M&M were new that I'd focus on getting thru a feeding. Or when I'd focus on getting them to sleep. And sit there and sob in total frustration. The M&M's are now 13 months old, and we've made it. It does get better. Another thing, if they enjoy the swing use it a lot, or the bouncies. There is no harm giving them 2 baths a day right now to give you some peace.

Good luck

Kerry Lynn said...

I can't believe yours enjoy baths. Mine scream like they're having their limbs ripped off. Bath time is not fun or relaxing for any of us.

Courtney said...

Reading your blog reminds me so much of what is going on in my life. My b/g twins are 3 weeks old tomorrow. Today was my first day home alone... after only about 3 1/2 hours of sleep last night. Mine also end up waking every couple of hours... it does wear you out. I can vouch for that! I keep myself going by reminding myself that they will grow out of this at some point... by taking some quick cat naps when I can... and by leaving the babies with dh so I can run to Starbucks every once in awhile (15 minutes without a baby does wonders.).

We are so blessed... we love our babies so much... but we have to remember we are human and sleep deprivation can sometimes get to you. Try to take it one day at a time. Good luck!