April 28, 2007

First Houston Trip

Well, we are back.

It wasn't exactly the "vacation" it was billed to be, but I had an okay time. The change of scenery was definitely good, and it was nice seeing other family members. The spa day did not happen. In fact I only left the house twice the entire week...once to go to Office Max to fax some time-sensitive docs to my mortgage broker and then over to my step-brother's house.

The twins did remarkably well on the car trip. We made a stop halfway for a feeding and changing, but other than that they slept the whole time. Once we got to my mom's, we had a tough day and a half adjustment. They must have known they were in a new environment, and they were extremely fussy....especially Kate, but what's new.

Actually, Kate was a nightmare for pretty much the entire trip. I did not realize a 2 month old baby was capable of doing this, but she only wants me to hold her and hold her ALL of the time. There is no way I can just let her cry it out either because she has the most angry/rageful cry I have ever heard. I am seriously afraid she will pass out if I let her go with it. Kate's new clinginess is draining on me, and I don't know what to do about it. If she isn't eating or sleeping, she is crying for me. Bath time is a rare moment of contentment for her (and me!).

Yesterday, we went over to my step-brother's house. I got to meet his 4-month old baby Adam for the first time, and do some catch-up with his oldest child Ryan. Ryan, who is 2 1/2, was so sweet to the twins. He could not correctly pronounce Kate's name so he called her "Cake." All afternoon he referred to her as "Baby Cake." Cute.

Mark came and got us this morning and drove us all home. I had left him a small 5 item list of things that I needed him to get done during his week off from the twins, and not a single item got done. Instead he bitched about how he was still so tired even though he had a full week of pre-baby sleep. Whatever. The resentment builds and builds. Of course, he wasn't too tired to meet up with friends for dinner & drinks, go to happy hour several times, and catch a minor league baseball game with his best friend. But, apparently, asking him to spray the house with ant killer (that I had already bought and set out for him) while the babies and dogs are gone was entirely too much to ask. Ugh. [Sorry to bitch, but this really pisses me off...and I haven't slept much in the last 2 days.]

So now my complete focus is on preparing for our move into the new house. I need to book some movers and start packing. I guess I also need to find or buy us some boxes since that was on Mark's to-do list, but was not done.

Oh, and I think Carson may have an allergy to pet dander. Ever since we brought him home from the NICU he was been stuffy and congested. The entire time we were in Houston (in a dog-free house), he was completely cleared up. Hmm...

A few Houston pics are posted on our Flickr.

3 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

You aren't bitching you are worn out and are upset that your husband gets millions of "Breaks" and you get few or little. Plus, you are moving into a new house to boot?!

I don't know how on earth you are doing it. You're one hell of a person!

Dawn Oglesby said...

Dude! I am so glad to have found you. I feel the same exact way most days. The resentment and extreme frustration are just part of dealing with a man and a baby. Some days I wonder why I even need him around though. We did pics with Abby yesterday. I cannot wait to get them back! Hope you start feeling a little less stressed soon. I have had a few days that were better here lately. Just a few but I'll take them.

Eva said...

Sorry your Houston trip wasn't more of a break. I'm always surprised when we're around family that I don't get more of a break... I guess it's the whole mommy thing... And really sorry about your husband not even recognizing what a massive break he had.

In terms of Kate, I know it's unsolicited advice, but have you tried a sling? My daughter was similar at that age, and I bought a new native sling (you can buy them on line) and I would snuggle her whole body and head in there. At first she would fuss, but then she would fall asleep and I could go about household tasks, eat, be on my computer, etc., without having to use my arms to hold her.

Eventually she adjusted to swings so I could get her to fall asleep on me and then transfer her to a swing, as long as movement never stopped. And she slept great in strollers and car seats, too, again a movement thing I think. I hope you find ways to make things easier with Kate as well.