March 10, 2007

Slight change in direction

Since finding out I was pregnant, this blog has become almost exclusively about the pregnancy, birth, NICU hell, and photos of the twins. I am still going to post a lot about my adventures in twin mommyhood, but I need to go back a little to why I originally started blogging in the first place -- for my own sanity and entertainment. I've even deleted past posts and done other acts of self-censorship because I felt it was too "edgy" (i.e. bitchy). I need to stop doing that. That is so not me, and goes against who I have always been. Anyway, I want to really combine all the aspects of my life into this blog -- motherhood, marriage, thoughts, the past, encounters, political, humor, random opinions, and observed ridiculousness.

I think what brought on this realization is (1) I am so scared of forgetting/losing who I am and just mindlessly going 100% into mommy mode. Does that make sense to anyone out there other than me? Of course, I love being Kate & Carson's mom. It's the greatest thing -- BY FAR -- that's ever happened to me...and the journey's just begun. I want to document all of it because I'm sure (like everything else in life) it will go by in a flash. But I miss expressing the other side of me too. (2) Once upon a time, I was an op-ed writer so I need to vent out opinions with a good dash of salty humor and sarcasm. And finally (3) I just remembered today that I am turning 30 at the end of the month. It's a big birthday! I can't believe I completely over-looked it until this afternoon. I have no fear of getting older -- and 30 is not old anyway -- but it does steer you down memory lane just a bit.

Twin Update: We had a great evening visit with the twins again. Kate has hit another big milestone...her feeding tube is out! She has done 24+ hours of 100% bottle feeding and now her test begins. I am trying like hell not to get too excited and stressed over it like I did for Carson's first attempt at solo bottle feeding. (And, yes, his tube is still in, but he has taken all of his feedings today by bottle...so, it might be out tomorrow.) Kate is now 3 lbs., 10 oz., and Carson is 5 lbs., 6 oz. They both took it all by bottle tonight, but Kate is the champion eater. She may have a future in competitive eating one day. She finished hers in less than 10 minutes, and he took a full 30 minutes.

No comments: