March 11, 2007

Clothes & Cribs

After yesterday's post you would think I'd have something profound to say....

Nope. :)

Twins reached more NICU milestones today. Carson was moved from his elevated platform looking NICU bed into a traditional hospital crib. That's one step closer out the door for him. He also took it upon himself to remove his own feeding tube (again), and the nurses decided to just keep it out since he is doing better with bottle feedings. Miss Kate has learned to regulate her own body temp, so she is wearing clothes and is swaddled. It was so strange to visit her today and see her in one of the pink PJs I brought up there for her. I am so used to see her naked in her plastic incubator. She is still in the incubator because her hospital crib (like Carson's) won't arrive until Monday. By the way, she is swimming in her preemie-sized PJs!

Here's the NICU checklist:
  • Self-regulating body temp (YES)
  • Gaining steady weight (YES)
  • 100% bottle feedings (YES)
  • No apnea for over a week (YES)
  • Wearing clothes (YES)
  • In normal cribs (YES)
  • No IV (Yes...for a long time now)
  • Over 4 lbs (Yes for Carson; Kate is 3 lbs, 13 oz...3 more oz to go!)
The only things left are the 1-hour car seat test and the overnight rooming-in practice run. We are also signed up for the preemie care class and baby CPR class at the hospital for good measure.

I am sincerely hoping the twins come home a week from today -- St. Patrick's Day. Given what my name is -- and I think some of you know -- it would be a huge dose of irony!

1 comment:

Eva said...

Thanks for the updates -- I'm so glad to hear that the twins are so close to coming home (I'm knocking on wood as I write this because I'm that kind of person, I can't help it!). Sarah was born at 3 pounds 13 ounces and her clothes, even preemie sizes, were huge on her for a while, but now at 6 months she's comfortably in 3 - 6. You'll be there before you know it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the final milestones happen quickly.

S&J were born on my 38th birthday -- it took me a couple of weeks before I realized I was older, as you can imagine, we were a bit occupied. I think the balance between being a mommy and a distinct individual is probably going to be a challenge for at least the next 5 years, so you're right, it's good to be aware of it.

My thoughts are with you all.