March 21, 2007

Dangers of Dog Hair

I am somewhat (okay, very) embarrassed to post this little nugget, but...

I had a dog hair surgically removed from my foot today! Yes, a DOG HAIR. More specifically, an inch long coarse black hair from my lab dog Maggie.

Back Story: Back in January (i.e., when I was massively pregnant with the twins and starting to have complications), I could tell I had something stuck in the ball of my left foot. It wasn't painful, but it was irritating. I ignored it. It looked like a tiny black spec, and I couldn't get it out myself. As the months have gone by, it has really started to hurt but I was so involved with the NICU life that I continued to ignore it. However, since I am a diabetic and need to be careful of my feet, I made an appointment with a podiatrist this week. I figured I could have it looked at while my mom was in town to watch the twins.

Anyway, the foot doc had to CUT it out. Oh, and no numbing stuff! It was so damn painful. I was horribly embarrassed when he announced it was a dog hair. Don't even ask how this happened. I have no idea, but I will always wear slippers around the house from now on! So now I have my foot bandaged up and it hurts like holy hell to walk on.

In other news...I felt good today because I was able to sleep last night. I had to call the pedi nurse to have her remind me what the pedi told me to do as far as Carson's tear duct blockage, gas drops, amount of tummy time, etc. I should not be allowed to go to such important doc appointments when I had been up for 48 hours straight! The nurse chuckled and said it happens more than you would think...parents too sleepy to remember what was said that is.

I have night duty tonight. Lovely. I still need to seriously get a nanny nailed down. It's amazing what 4-5 hours of sleep can do for me!

3 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

Life isn't hard enough without doghair being implanted in your foot?

Seriously, with your six shades of suck all happening at once it would be hard to stay sane.

I had to laugh just the teenist bit at it being dog hair, though.

But it was very teeny and only lasted a second, I swear! ;)

Eva said...

Too funny about the dog hair!

Love the photo -- and love how she swims in the clothes which is how clothes used to look on ours -- as for the DR visits, I always bring a little notebook for that very reason -- I never remember and although it makes me look like the geek I am, at least I then have it written down (if I can find the notebook!).

Dawn Oglesby said...

Add that to the list of reasons that I am disgusted with having a big dog in my house and a baby. I am going crazy with my dog and his hair all over the damn place.