February 11, 2007

More Advice...

I just thought of a few more pieces of advice for pregnant-with-twins women...


  • Have your baby showers early! Everyone thought I was nuts for having my first one at 22 weeks and my last one at 26 weeks. The first one was out-of-town, so I wanted to get the travelling over with quickly. Plus, we had Christmas to deal with so I had it the first week of December so it wouldn't interfere with people's holiday plans. My last one was here in Austin, and I ended up in the hospital with complications less than 2 weeks later. So it was just in the nick of time! Plus, since I had them early it gave me the freedom of time to really organize the nursery, assess what I still needed, and write my thank you notes. All of this once again has to do with the comparison of singleton vs. twin pregnancies. You really can't wait until well into your third trimester like so many singleton ladies do. You might find yourself in my situation...not having much of a third trimester.
  • Have a communications liaison. This is a lesson I learned from my cousin who had twins in September. My very good friend Lee Anne has been mine. I gave her a list of people I wanted emailed and a small handful of older relatives (that don't do email) to be called. This way hubby or my mom could make only one phone call (to her) and she could send out the update emails, field the phone calls and reply to questions in people's email replies. We did this when I ended up in the hospital two weeks ago, and it went beautifully. This way me, Hubby and my mom weren't swamped with a million calls of "What's going on? How is Shannon? How are the babies? What did the doctor say? When will those test results be in?" etc. I had her nicely mention in the email for folks not to call my cell number or direct hospital number. My cousin went through a nightmare of constantly ringing phones (both hospital landline and all the cell phones) while she was having needles stuck in her arms or getting updates while her doc was in the room. All of this may sound impersonal to you, but I come from a very large family...plus all of my old co-workers and clients have kept up with my pregnancy; Hubby's co-workers, friends and clients have kept up; a ton of family friends and neighbors; even my Mom's co-workers, friends and clients. It adds up to over 100 people who have insisted on immediate notification...this was the only system that would work and keep us sane. Lee Anne has been a God-sent. I am going to have to treat her to a very nice gift or spa package once all of this is over.
  • Am I the only one who has found it frustrating that no one has written a week-by-week pregnancy book for twins? I have one for singletons, but there is nothing out there for twins. The same can be said for baby books. I ended up buying a baby book for each twin, but it would have been nice to do one big book.

4 comments:

Kerry Lynn said...

More Amens. I basically insisted to the powers that be to have my shower BEFORE 28 weeks. Powers that be said 28 weeks was too close to Christmas and that they wouldn't have it until February. I wasn't very happy about the complete disregard for my situation and what could possibly happen. It was planned for February 3rd. I was admitted to the hospital on January 22nd. Luckily I was stable enough after 3 weeks that they sent me home. Now the powers that be say they don't want to do it until after the babies are born. We have NOTHING for the babies. I insisted that first of all, you are supposed to be PREGNANT at your baby shower, and second of all, what if I don't deiver until 38 weeks? I told them that I want it next weekend and they said absolutely not. The following weekend is not an option which puts us at march 3rd. I will more likely than not be back in the hospital by then. Now they're mad that I'm even involved and being so demanding. Maybe to some people I do sound demanding but if it were up to them we wouldn't have the shower until the kids are 9! Someone's gotta stop the madness. So after a few emotional phone calls they grudgingly agreed to try for next weekend.

I did have a few moments of annoyance when phone calls would come while I was in the hospital but for me I didn't mind too much. And it seemed like there was constantly a nurse in my room so I just learned to ignore them and continue my conversation. HAHA

seattlegal said...

Thanks for your twin advice. I really appreciate it. I think my friends are planning a shower for me when I'll be 28 weeks, which I hope will be fine.

I hope everything went well today.

seattlegal said...

Thanks for your twin advice. I really appreciate it. I think my friends are planning a shower for me when I'll be 28 weeks, which I hope will be fine.

I hope everything went well today.

Jessica said...

Hey Shannon-
All your tips sounds very good- I have to agree with the sanity/ time preservation efforts. The week-by-week book would be good, esp. for first time mamas. Still, I think two baby books will be nice, eventually you'll want to give them each a book and that's so much nicer than having them have to share their baby books. :) Good luck! I look forward to reading your update.