February 6, 2007

"Growth Restricted Baby"

We just returned from an appointment with my perinatalist. Baby Girl is showing signs of some problems. She isn’t gaining weight. In fact, she has lost 3 ounces since Thursday night. She is now 2 lbs, 13 oz. She has now been classified as a “growth restricted baby.” Apparently, this is a sign that there is a problem with her placenta and she is not getting the food that she needs to grow as she should. Her heart rate is still excellent and she is moving a lot, but her weight is a major issue now. Baby Boy is porking up quickly. He is now 4 lbs, 3 oz…so he has gained 7 oz since Thursday. He is showing more signs of being a “diabetic baby”…meaning: diabetic women tend to have larger babies, and he is ahead of where he should be in weight. It does NOT mean is he a diabetic. He just really likes all the extra natural sugar I am providing him.

I see my OB again on Thursday and I will see my perinatalist again on Friday. Saturday I will reach the very important milestone of week 32, and peri doc told us the decision will be made this weekend (or early next week) on when to take out the babies. We are at the point where it’s better for the babies to be outside of my body instead inside of me. Since they gave me my steroid shots in the hospital last week to mature the babies’ lungs, we have a window of time to deliver. Peri doc told us we will for sure be parents within 2 weeks time and to get our affairs in order, pack our bags, and wait for the call.

Anyway, I am scared and freaked out right now….very worried about our little girl. My mom will probably be coming back into town this weekend just in case the decision is made over the weekend.

3 comments:

seattlegal said...

Geez, I'd be scared and freaked out too. I hope both of your babies come into this world healthy little ones.

Kerry Lynn said...

Shannon, I'm so glad the pre-e isn't a major issue at this point. Sad about your girl not growing though. I'm surprised they're going to wait any time to get them out actually. I would think they would want to get them out as soon as possible. I am going for growth check tomorrow and am hoping to find my boy (who was lagging) to be growing.
Congratulations on making it to 32 weeks!! huge milestone! One more week for me to get there.

Shana said...

Oh, Shannon, I'm so sorry you've hit yet another bump in the road. I hope all goes well (and no more surprises!) until those babies are delivered.