January 18, 2007

Another Ramble-fest

Lately, I have been surfing around the blogosphere reading other women's blogs about their pregnancies, especially twin pregnancies. Aside from filling my time, it gives me a sense of comfort to read that another woman is experiencing the same things I am. I get that, 'Oh, okay, this is normal' sense of relief.

But the one thing I have also noticed is how my journey to conception wasn't nearly as dramatic or trying as most other women I read about. We tried naturally for three years with no luck. I had a uterine polyp surgically removed in February 2005, and then went through all of the testing. Finally I did three cycles of Clomid...also with no luck. Then we took a full year off because we had so much family stuff going on -- the death of my dad and the death of my Granny being the highlights. We essentially had thrown in the towel. We didn't speak of it and I wrapped myself up in work.

Then this past July I decided to take an ovulation test. It came back negative. They always came back negative. It was the first ovulation test I had taken in a year. Anyway, that night we went out to dinner and a movie. We came back to the house and...well...conceived twins the old-fashioned way. It had been so long that sex was just sex. Remember how sex used to be?...fun and spontaneous. For years our bedroom had become a laboratory of sorts. Everything was timed. Positions were limited. Afterwards, I would have to get into some crazy yoga-like position. None of that happened the night we got pregnant.

A few weeks later, my period was a day late. I was also very regular, but I didn't really think too much of it. Hubby was away on business and flying home that afternoon. To this day, I don't know why I decided to take a home pregnancy test. It wasn't even on my mind as a possibility that I could be pregnant. I dug out a year-old test and took it. I went back to the kitchen to finish up some dishes and completely forgot about the test sitting on the bathroom counter top. Finally I went back there and noticed the faintest second line on the test. I couldn't believe it, but I wasn't overly excited either. I thought either the test was too old to be accurate or something wasn't right because the line was so faint. I didn't start to get excited until I called Hubby (who was about to board his flight home) and my mom, and heard them scream and get all excited.

I thought I had such a long, emotional, tough road to getting pregnant but it doesn't even come close to so many other women. Thankfully I never had to do IVF or any of the other procedures. I just wish I knew how it happened. How did I release two eggs when I never ovulate?

I guess I will never know the answer to that question, and in the big picture it doesn't really matter. I feel so lucky that I am getting a boy and a girl, and my family will be complete. Now I just focus on the finish line and dream about the moment I finally get to see these little monkeys that I have waited so long for...and who have been kicking me non-stop since early October!

I start week 29 on Friday.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Congratulations! Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy. :)

seattlegal said...

That is so great you conceived naturally. If people can avoid IVF, then I really do think that's great.

I cannot wait to feel that first kick from my twins!