May 20, 2006

Yes, I Kept My Name...Get Over It!

Am I the only female that kept her name after getting married?! I have been married for almost three years now, and I am sick of having the same exact conversation with strangers. It goes a little something along these lines:
Them: “Are you guys married?” [Baffled]
Me: “Yes. And before you ask, I kept my name.”
Them: “Oh. Okay. [Long pause while they digest this.] Is he okay with that?”
Me: “Yeah.” [That’s the question that starts getting me annoyed…is HE okay with that? Sheesh!.]
Them: “Umm, why don’t you use your married name?”
Me: “[My Maiden Name] is my married name. I never changed it. That’s my name legally, socially, professionally and every other way.”
Them: “Why?”
Me: [Sigh] “Because it’s MY name. Just because I got married I didn’t feel like I needed to abandon my identity. Look, I really don’t want to get into. It’s my name and it was my choice to keep it.”
Them: “Well, what about your kids? What name will they have?”
Me: “My husband’s.” [Then I change the topic.]

I live in the most open-minded, liberal city in Texas and I never imagined I would be hassled over my decision to keep my name.

No comments: