February 17, 2007

My C-Section Experience

I have a few minutes to post something about the birth of my twins before I have another pumping session.

In the days leading up to the c-section I was so bitchy, on edge and scared...and it was all for nothing! Honestly, the C-section wasn't bad at all. The worst part was getting the IV and that's mainly due to a nurse who opposed using the numbing shot first. I didn't even feel them giving me the spinal block. I was waiting and waiting and then I asked, "When are you going to do it?" Just as I said that I could feel all this warmth traveling up and down my body. They laughed and said it was done. Being shaved was interesting. I remember making jokes to the poor nurse who had that task.

My OB came into the OR and said hello, kissed me on the forehead and asked me if I was excited. I just love my OB. However, I expected him to give some kind of play-by-play of events as they were happening, but he didn't. Hubby was sitting next to my head, holding my left hand, and looked scared. I was amazingly calm.

Next thing I heard was the voice of my OB saying, "Happy Birthday Katherine! Hi little girl!" There was no cry. They covered her in a blanket and rushed her out of the room. I didn't even get a glimpse. I looked at Hubby and he looked like he was about to lose it; he squeeze my hand. I could tell he was smiling even though he had on a mask.

Next I felt all kinds of tugging and pulling. Nothing hurt, of course, but I could tell Carson was going to be a lot bigger than his sister based on the amount of effort it took getting him out. It seemed to last forever -- though in reality it was 2 minutes.

Then we heard, "Hey little wiggling worm! You thought you could get away from me?! Happy Birthday Carson!" [Apparently once Kate was out, Carson took advantage of the extra womb room and played a bit of hide-and-seek from my OB.] I got a quick glimpse of him being rushed out. All we saw was two semi-bloody legs up in the air and a big blanket. Hubby snapped a photo.

I looked over again at Hubby. He was sobbing now. Not crying, but sobbing. He leaned close my face and said, "We are parents! You did it." and he kissed me through the mask. All I could do was smile. I wasn't crying. I think I was just in shock that it was all over with.

A few short minutes later, they brought Katherine in to see me. They put her by my face and I kissed her on the cheek. She didn't look anything like I expected. I could tell she was very tiny. The nurse who brought her in said, "She is tiny, but boy is she feisty!" They took her away, and a few minutes later they brought both twins in to see me. They were in a clear plastic box. I didn't get to kiss Carson, but I saw him. He was blowing spit bubbles and was crying. Joy washed over me once I heard him crying.

The twins and Hubby left the room. I wanted Hubby to stay with the babies. He got photos of then being weighed, etc. As they made their way to the elevators to go up to the NICU, the ran into my entourage. So my mom, mother-in-law, aunts, etc. got to see the babies in the clear plastic box. I'm so glad they got to see them there.

I spent an hour in the recovery room. Mom came into to see me. She went on and on about how beautiful the twins are, how they were breathing on their own, etc. I've never seen her beam like that before. Hubby came into the recovery room with a napkin with their heights and weights written on it.

After the recovery room, I went to my private mother-baby room. I stayed there for 4 days. They made me walk to the bathroom (about 6 feet) and to my wheelchair that evening. That was not fun. Lots of bleeding that first and second day. The day after surgery was the worst physically and emotionally for me. I hurt pretty badly and I cried all day.

But after the hurdle of day 2, everything has been smooth. It has now been five days and I feel almost back to normal. I am walking just fine. I am eating, sitting up in bed, etc. I am still sore and I still need to stay on top of my pain meds (I can tell when they are wearing off), but otherwise it's no big deal.

So that's the story. Now it's time to pump some more milk for the kiddos.

1 comment:

seattlegal said...

Your story made me cry. I am so happy for you that you have your babies and you got to hold your son for the first time!