February 17, 2007

1st Time Holding Carson

I finally got to hold my baby Carson today! He is such a doll baby! He wrapped his little hand around my finger and held on tight for a full hour. Like his sister, Carson LOVES kangaroo time with his mommy. His breathing, heart rate and oxygen saturation were all perfect during the hour I held him. I thought we were way over due for some kangaroo time. I thought that he might be having some anxiety being separated from me (i.e., the only thing he knows), so now the nurses want me to hold him as much as possible. As you can see, we finally got a photo of him with his peepers open! Isn't he cute? His eyes look brown right now, but it's still way too soon to tell.

We got another excellent report from the neo docs today. Both kiddos are doing very well. Carson has made huge strides now that his heart murmur is pretty much fixed thanks to some drug therapy. They are both having a few apnea episodes, but that is what you can expect at their age. They are closely monitored (of course), and will grow out of it in a week or so.

The twins apparently love my breast milk, and their digestive systems are working perfectly. They are slowly packing on some weight. They started out taking 3 cc of milk and today they are up to 8 cc!

Update: I just got back from our evening NICU visit. Once again, I held Carson for an hour. And once again, everything went wonderfully. Is it normal for a baby to snore? Light snoring. It was cute and funny, but give me enough time and I can come up with a million things to worry about. Hubby held Kate again, and we are both falling desperately in love with our babies. Someone told me when I was pregnant that you don't really know what true, pure love is until you become a parent. That's not to say you don't love your parents or your spouse, but it's completely different than the love you have for your child. Now I completely understand that sentiment. Amazing!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Yay! So glad you finally got to snuggle your little boy, too. :) Glad everybody's doing well.