February 4, 2007

First Full Day Home

It has been so wonderful to be back home. I have spent 95% of the last 24-hours in bed sleeping. I have been truly surprised at how sleepy I am. So far, I haven't had any headaches, swelling or other signs like I had last week. I have been feeling a good deal of pressure in my extreme lower belly, but I am guessing that's because Baby "A" (girl) is sitting directly on my cervix...at least according to my ultrasound yesterday. In fact, the entire shape of my belly has changed in the last few days. I am popping out more and more, and the belly is taking on a more long shape...i.e., less yoga ball and more watermelon.

I am suppose to call both of my docs first thing in the morning to get worked into to seeing them tomorrow. I have admit, I am scared to do so. I am scared they will put me back in the hospital. Logically, of course, I know that if that's where they think I need to be, then that's the best place for me....but...I really didn't like it there.

Random thoughts...

  • Yesterday when I was being released from the hospital I heard to most horrible sounds of my life. Some poor women was in labor down the hallway -- according to the nurses. It was her first baby and she had waited too long to go into the hospital. She was already dilated to 10 and it was too late for drugs! I have never heard that kind of suffering and pain before. For her sake, I hope it didn't last too long.
  • On the morning of the my second day in the hospital, they wheeled me up to the NICU to take a tour with Hubby. That really motivated me to get the hell out of there! They had a 28-week baby next to a 32-week baby, and it was the difference between night and day! It's amazing what that one month of growth really looks like. They told me that every day I can hold the twins inside my belly subtracts 3 days from their time in the NICU. That is my only goal right now. Also, the whole time I was touring the NICU, the twins were kicking up a storm! I hope that was them sending me a sign that they don't want to be there either!
  • My nurses were all wonderful, and I never questioned the level of care I was getting.
  • It wasn't until my last day in the hospital that we truly learned just how serious of the situation was when I was admitted. They had already cleared an operating room for me, and the twins were literally about an hour or two away from the decision to be taken. I feel blessed that we dodged that bullet.

Anyway, I am staying on my strict bed rest. Looking forward to laying on the sofa with Hubby and watching the Super Bowl. Thankful that I have good babies that still want to stay inside for a bit longer.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hey Shannon-
Hang in there! You're doing great! I'm so glad you got to go home, if even for a little bit. It's so true, it's impossible to feel truly rested when you are in the hospital.
Take good care, I'm glad your hubby is home with you now. :)