February 2, 2007

Day 3...Importance of Routine

I finally started to establish some sort of routine. Here's what it has become...

5:30 AM -- Nurse comes in and weighs me. It's absurd they have to wake me up and do this so damn early in the morning, but she said something about the night nurse had to do at the end of her shift. Whatever. It's a cruel way to start a day.
6:00 AM -- Dr. Uribe's head nurse (Kim) usually stops by and sees how I am doing.
6:30 AM -- Dr. Uribe (my OB) stops by and says hello. Goes over my lab work, vitals and all other stats.
7:00 AM -- New nurse comes in and introduces herself. Takes my vital. Test my fasting morning blood.
7:30 AM -- I brush my teeth, wash my face, make some sort of attempt to feel refreshed.
8:00 AM -- Nurse comes in with my pre-breakfast insulin and usually the food tray. Breakfast absolutely sucks around here. The other meals are okay, but I have gotten used to eating a hearty breakfast at home (thanks to the diabetes, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day)
8:30 AM -- Call Hubby; find out when he is coming up to see me and what he agenda is for the day
9: 00 AM -- Blood pressure & other vitals checked. I get hooked up with a baby monitor to listen to and chart the babies' heartbeats, movement and contractions. I end up with a sore back because the additional weight of laying on my back for 20 minutes is really painful. I also end up with a slimy, ultrasound-jelly belly.
10 AM -- Nurse comes in the test my post-breakfast blood; might need some additional insulin.
10 - 11 AM -- Mark arrives. More vitals checked. Watch CNN or MSNBC. Phone calls. Nurses in and out. I also get to shower during this time....the highlight of the day.
Noon -- Insulin, food, Mark leaves to get himself some real food
1 - 3 PM -- This is when I am exhausted. After lunch, I get blood tested AGAIN, vitals checked, more insulin, baby monitor non-stress test again, and desperately trying to get in a nap.

And this goes on and on. Dinner is a 6 PM. I see more docs between 8 PM and midnight. I am literally only getting 4-ish hours of consecutive sleep each night. The only time I get out of bed is to go to the bathroom and to shower. That's it.

My blood pressure and blood sugars are looking pretty good. I am still trying to decide if I want to break out of here tomorrow. It's a possibility I guess, but I am afraid I will be right back here soon. I don't know what to do.

I got more flowers delivered today. It really does cheer you up when you are suck in a place like this.

I got the big talk today about exactly what to expect from a c-section from one of my nurses. I am really not to scared about it. I just want more time. It's all about time right now.

Did I mention that I would kill for a cheeseburger and fries right now?! :)

2 comments:

seattlegal said...

I've been away for a little bit and saw that you're in the hospital. I'm sorry, but I hope that this time there will do wonders for you and your babies. I pray that these babies stay inside you as long as they can and come out healthy and you are healthy too.

That is interesting about the co-sleeping of twins. I hadn't thought of that.

Take care - I am wishing the best for you and your babies.

Dawn Oglesby said...

I go to Dr. Uribe also. So glad to see he is taking such good care of you!