January 3, 2007

Kick Babies, Kick!

Alright I am getting a bit concerned about a slow down in baby(ies) movement(s) in the past few days. It hasn't been a complete stop, but it's been a definite slow down and change in pattern. I had gotten so used to their kicking schedule that it's alarming when that changes. I have an appointment to see my perinatalist on Friday, but I am wondering if I should try to see if they have any time available tomorrow. Am I being paranoid? Is something wrong or are they just starting to run out of room in there? My gut tells me there is nothing to be worried about, but I don't always trust my gut. The other shitty part is that I can't do a traditional "kick test"...drinking a Coke or Dr. Pepper (sugar = BAD for diabetes), laying on your left side, and then counting the amount of kicks in an hour. *sigh* One of the reasons I was going to just wait until Friday is because Hubby really wanted to go with me, and he won't be back in town until tomorrow night. What to do, What to do.

I got a call from the nurse again because I expressed such concern about my out-of-control sugar levels. They have really jacked up my insulin amounts! Unless you're a diabetic, these numbers won't mean much, but here are my new amounts...

Breakfast: 70 units of Humulin NPH & 50 units of Humulin Regular
Lunch: 50 units of Humulin Regular
Dinner: 50 units of Humulin NPH & 50 units of Humulin Regular
Bedtime: 50 units of some new insulin...I can't remember the name right now

To put all of this in perspective, when I first started taking insulin -- when I was 7 weeks pregnant -- I started out taking ONLY 5 units of insulin at bedtime! The docs tell me a lot of this is due to having two placentas...which is better for the twins, but not so great for diabetics. These two placentas have completely taken over my hormone production and natural insulin is a hormone. They also tell me to not freak out because this is exactly what they told me would happen as I approached my third trimester. I feel like I am fighting against nature in all regards...the battle with the insulin and the battle to keep these twins in the oven for as long as possible. And it's only going to get worse as the weeks go on. It amazes me to think I will actually be able to go off the insulin injections and back to taking a pill a day about two months after delivery.

Oh, and I'm 26 weeks, 5 days.

No comments: