December 30, 2006

Giant End-of-the-Year Meme

What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
Visited Washington DC and South Padre Island…both places I haven’t been before. Got pregnant. Skinny-dipped…thanks to having my own pool; highly recommended. Gave some work-related speeches…which was a big deal since I am deathly afraid of public speaking.

Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I think I kept one of my resolutions from 2006 -- to travel more. Yes, I am making more for 2007.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin Julie had twins. My step-brother and his wife had their second baby.

Did anyone close to you die?
Yes…Granny

What countries did you visit?
Various parts of the U.S.

What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Bigger house (our family is doubling in size!). Bigger car (our family is doubling in size!). Babies. An assistant to get more work cranked out (later in the year). More patience.

What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 30 – Granny’s death. Memorial Week – Washington DC trip with Amanda. August 1 – Found out I’m pregnant. August 29 – Find out about the twins.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting knocked up naturally (I know ya’ll are sick of all the twin talk!). Wonderful marriage. Keeping my diabetes in check (for the most part). Stayed sane.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, thankfully

What was the best thing you bought?
Car. Hubby’s new golf clubs (something he really wanted and was surprised by). New furniture.

Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hubby. The Dems for somewhat getting it together.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Bush’s veto of the Stem Cell Bill. Young Hollywood’s trend in flashing their yoo-hoos in public.

Where did most of your money go?
House. Car. My business. Babies.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Finding out I was pregnant (after 3+ years of trying). Finding out we were having twins. Finding out it was boy/girl twins. Feeling baby movement for the first time.

What song will always remind you of 2006?
Hmm…probably “Sexy Back” by Justin Timberlake. That song was in the background when I found out I was pregnant, so it’s burned into my memory.

Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
(a) Happier; (b) Fatter, but with a good excuse; (c) Richer.

What do you wish you’d done more of?
Relaxing. Scuba/Snorkeling/Swimming in the ocean. Dancing. Traveling. Drinking (I have been wanting a good Long Island Iced Tea lately. Had I known I would be getting pregnant this year, I would have definitely thrown more back!)

What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying. Beating myself up for nearly everything I'm doing/not doing/not doing fast enough. Getting muddled down in other’s drama/toxicity.

How will you be spending Christmas?
We spent Christmas all alone this year and it was horrible. I wasn’t able to travel to be with family.

Did you fall in love in 2006?
This is totally sappy, but I think I re-fell in love with Hubby. Shhhh. Let's maintain the illusion that I'm all tough 'n shit. :)

What was your favorite TV program?
CSI, Real Time with Bill Maher, The Sopranos and a ton of TBS and Nick @ Nite re-runs

Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
"Hate" is pretty strong. I'm much more annoyed by Paris Hilton, if that counts. And there are people I'm certainly more annoyed by. My strong dislike for Donald Trump has definitely grown in recent weeks.

What was the best book you read?
I think the most helpful book I read this year was “Week-by-Week Guide to Pregnancy.” I pull that book out at least once a week. I have been saving up all of other books to read in January and February when I am stuck in bed.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
As we speak, I am rediscovering the greatness of James Brown. I’ve also become a big fan of reggae and Latin hip-hop/rap…strange, I know. My musical tastes tend to run in cycles. My musical highlight of 2006 was seeing Aerosmith play "Dream On" live in concert (in January in Dallas). It's was awesome!

What did you want and get?
A house with a pool. A new car. A new computer. A satisfying marriage. Pregnancy.

What did you want and not get?
New house slippers…stupid, I know. I wish we could have gone to Europe this year. With the twins coming, big trips like that will be years and years away now.

What was your favorite film of this year?
As I get older I have really become anti-movie. The one movie that I will always remember this year (and NOT because it was a piece of brilliant film-making) is “You, Me and Dupree” because we saw that movie on the date night in which we conceived the twins. I can’t believe I got knocked up after watching an Owen Wilson flick…how sad, and funny! I will have to live with that shame forever.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29, and I honestly don’t remember what I did for my birthday. Oh, wait, yes I do remember…I was moving in our new Austin house. Needless to say, moving is one of the worst things to do on a birthday. We were too tired and sore to even go out to dinner.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to call my dad and Granny to give them womb updates. Not having to stick a needled into my tummy four times a day (insulin injections).

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Uh, yeah, not my best fashion year. It was all about what was most comfortable and, more importantly, what fit.

What kept you sane?
Hubby. Mom. Music. Writing. My dogs. Good friends. New outlook on life. Going on drives (alone) out in the country with the windows down, music turned up, and clearing my mind.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I have never been one to fancy celebrities.

What political issue stirred you the most?
Stem Cell Research; Iraq War

Who did you miss?
My dad and my Granny…everyday. I've also been missing one of my old college roommates (Tom). He dropped off the planet about 6 years ago and I can't track him down.

Who was the best new person you met?
I don’t think I could narrow it down to just one person. MySpace, in all it’s silliness, has re-introduced me to some folks from my past that I am glad I know once again.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
(a) Life works in cycles…times of extreme sadness are usually followed by times of joy; (b) Sometimes big mistakes offer moments of needed clarity

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Most things I worry about never happen anyway." – Crawling Back to You by Tom Petty

No comments: