July 11, 2006

Cut Short

One of the big news items around Austin in the past week is the accident that happened at The Backyard after The Black Crowes concert on the 3rd. Five people were hit by a drunk driver while standing outside the concert hall after the show. The most severely hurt was a 32-year old criminal defense attorney named Jeff Wilson. Jeff, his wife Mandy, and three others were hit by a woman from Tyler (my hometown) with a blood alcohol level twice the legal limit. Jeff sustained severe brain damage, and he died yesterday. What has made this even more upsetting to me and other Austinites is that Jeff's blog address has been released to the public. It so easy to hear something tragic in the news and not thing twice about it. However, I went to look at Jeff's blog, and it puts a face to it. This guy sounded like someone I would be friends with...he and his wife did the same things me and my hubby love doing...he just seemed like a funny, interesting guy who loved life. What a shame. I feel for his wife. Apparently they had just returned from a vacation, and life was good.

I am having a blah day. I worked my ass off yesterday and got a lot knocked out. I went to bed around midnight, slept through my alarm clock (and therefore my sales meeting), and finally got up at 10 AM. I can't believe I had slept for 10 hours! That never happens. So I am off to a late start.


Anyway, here is Jeff's blog.

ADDENDUM

Here's information about Jeff's memorial and obit. These were his words from June 6, 2006:

You only get one shot at this life. don't waste it, it could be gone any day. travel. blow some money. go see some music. make some music. kiss someone on the mouth (preferably someone who won't sue you). read a book. write a book. whatever. just don't take it for granted. no one lies on their death bed wishing they had spent more time at the office.


I wish I knew why this person and this story has affected me so much.

No comments: